North Yorkshire Moors Railway is a heritage railway. First opened in 1936 as the Whitby and Pickering railway, the railway was planned in 1831 by George Stephenson as a means of opening up trade routes inland from the then important seaport of Whitby. The line closed in 1965. The Duchess of Kent was able to officially open the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on May 1, 1973. Now it is a major tourist destination for both steam enthusiasts and day trippers alike.
In 2007 the North Yorkshire Moor’s Railway was granted permission to operate steam trains from Whitby to Pickering. The magnificent Steam Engines carry passengers to and from Whitby station, along the Esk Valley.